3 Days Historical Bagamoyo and Saadani Beach Safari
- On the trail of the past – Arabic, German, British history and old colonial buildings
- Admire the beautifully carved doors of Bagamoyo
- Relax on the beach
- Saadani National Park where the beach meets the bush
- Plunge into the Indian Ocean after your safari
- Boat trip on the mangrove lined Wami River
- Circuit / Region
- Included Services
- Excluded Services
- Best Time To Travel
- Packing Tips
Bagamoyo is located 80 km north of Dar es Salaam on the Indian Ocean and was once one of the first and most important trading ports along the East African coast. Because of its location on the caravan trade routes, it has long been an important slave trading place. Let yourself be transported back in time on a tour through the old town of Bagamoyo. The town is full of historic monuments of ancient Arab and Portuguese architecture as well as historic German buildings and British colonial history. Visit the first Roman Catholic Church in East Africa built around 1868 and the nearby chapel where Livingstone’s body was laid before being taken to Zanzibar Town en route to Westminster Abbey.
The Saadani National Park near the little village of Saadani is Tanzania’s only national park on the coast. The park protects unique coastal savannas, mangrove and primary coastal forests along the Wami River as well as important breeding sites for the green turtle. Saadani National Park is home to a growing population of wild animals such as waterbuck, cow antelope, reedbuck, buffalo and giraffe. Warthogs, baboons and colobus monkeys are often seen animals, while elephants, lions and leopards are rather shy. The park is known for its Lichtenstein antelope and the rare Roosevelt sable antelope. Taking a boat ride on the Wami river you will spot Nile crocodiles and hippos and along the river you can see kingfishers and even flamingos.
- Day 1: Dar es Salaam – Bagamoyo
After breakfast we depart for the historic coastal town of Bagamoyo. A walk through the narrow streets takes you back to the mid-19th century. After lunch we proceed to the first Roman Catholic Church in East Africa and the Mission Museum. The day ends with a visit of the Kaole ruins dated back to the 13th Century, where immigrants from Arabic countries landed on East Africa’s coast.
Meal plan: lunch (in town), dinner
Possible accommodations: Mary Nice or IDC Lodge (budget), Firefly (mid-range), Family Cottage or Bagamoyo Country Club (mid-range Beach Hotel)
- Day 2: Bagamoyo - Saadani National Park
After breakfast we drive to Saadani National Park. Hot lunch in the selected accommodation and chill-out on the beach of the Indian Ocean. In the afternoon game drive in the park.
Meal plan: lunch, dinner
Possible accommodations: Tanapa Bandas or campsite (budget); The Vagabond Lodge (mid-range); Saadani Safari Lodge (luxury)
- Day 3: Game Drive and Boat Safari
Early morning game drive. We start at 5:30 a.m. and then return to the lodging for a full breakfast. After breakfast we leave the lodging for a boat excursion on the Wami River. This trip offers probably the best boat safari in Tanzania. The river safari takes you past flocks of flamingos at the mouth of the river before entering the river with its abundant wildlife and profusion of bird life. Hot lunch will be served at your accommodation. After lunch we drive back to Dar es Salaam, where you will arrive in the late afternoon at the agreed drop-off point.
Meal plan: breakfast, lunch
Accommodation: no accommodation on this day
- Transport from and to your hotel/residence or airport/seaport
- Park entry and nature trail fees
- Guided tour at Bagamoyo and admission fees
- Professional, English-speaking driver/guide
- All accommodations and meals as mentioned in the itinerary or as agreed. N. B. accommodation mentioned in the itinerary is dependent on availability at the time of booking; alternatives of a similar class may be booked instead
- All camping gear (if applicable)
- Game drives and activities as per itinerary
- 4 × 4 safari vehicle with pop up roof for game viewing
- Drinking water during the game drives/walking safari
- Driver’s salary and allowances
- International/national flights and visa fees
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. soft- and alcoholic drinks, telephone, souvenirs, laundry etc.
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurance
- Flying doctor rescue services
- Government-imposed increases in taxes and/or park entrance fees
- Tips to the driver & guide
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions
- Optional activities not outlined in the itinerary
- On request other tour languages possible
- Additional accommodation before and after the tour can be arranged for an extra cost
- Extension of stay or additional program is possible / or have a look at our other offers
- Tropical monsoons with long rain falls from March to May
- Short rains fall in November and December
- January and February are hot and humid months with sporadic showers with lots of sunshine
- June to September are cooler, but sunny
- Sadaani National Park at the east coast is great for a visit in January and February after the short rains, or from June to August for spotting wildlife
- Usually our tours require a minimum of 2 persons to run. Single travelers can join a tour or ask us for a tailor-made safari.
- We offer discounted prices for children.
Are you ready to explore Africa?
This itinerary is an example of tours we organize.
Contact us by email, WhatsApp or phone to create your individual trip or choose one of our itineraries without obligation!