Day Tour to Mkuru Camel Safari
- Enjoy Africa’s beauty and wilderness on a Camel back through Maasai land
- Experience wildlife, Maasai people ‘day to day life’ and the beautiful scenery
- Contribute to the livelihood of the Maasai tribes
- Circuit / Region
- Included Services
- Excluded Services
- Best Time To Travel
- Packing Tips
Mkuru Camel Safari is a community-based cultural tourism initiative, directly managed by local people, under the umbrella of the Tanzania Tourist Board and supported by Oikos East Africa a local NGO which manages development projects which focus on environmental conservation, improvement of water supply, education and awareness on environmental issues and other initiatives of poverty alleviation.
Mkuru Camel Safari includes camel and walking safaris, as well as a wide variety of cultural events, with the objective of spreading the knowledge of natural and cultural resources of Mkuru/Mount Meru area, and distributing the benefits of tourism to rural communities.
The income of Mkuru Camel Safari remains 100% locally, to pay salaries, guide fees, village contribution, running cost of the camp, trainings and transportation costs. The Mkuru community receives benefits from two different incomes: from the development fee that the community manages by itself, to pay for school improvements, scholarships for secondary education and other costs to improve the life conditions of Mkuru community.
The second way MCS is distributing benefits is through the Boma visit fee, each tourist entering in a Boma, is paying a fee that goes direct to the family of that Boma.
- Full Day Tour
Pick up at 07:30 in the morning at the Hotel/Lodge and drive to Ol’doinyo Sambu (Highway to Nairobi). Driving time is 1.5 hours’ drive one way. Get briefed about the Camel ride, and then start the guided Camel tour by visiting a baboon cave, which every night is hosting almost 300 baboons. In this place, where it is still possible to see a good example of a dam made in the colonial period, you will listen and observe the story of a traditional ritual in the life of Maasai men, after which they become stronger. Late in day ride back to the camp, then drive back to Arusha for drop off at your Lodge/Hotel.
- Transport to and from your accommodation in Arusha/Moshi or nearby
- English-speaking guide/driver
- lunch package or lunch at the village & complimentary bottle of mineral water
- Riding Camels Safari, guiding fee, development fee and visit Maasai boma
- Items of a personal nature such as souvenirs, passport, visa, and traveler’s insurance
- Medical evacuation insurance
- Soft drinks & alcoholic drinks
- Tips to guides and driver-guide
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusion
- Arrangements can be made for camel safaris of more days
- For example, multi-day tours over the mountains Kitumbeine and Ol Doinyo Lengai to the shores of Lake Natron.
- The long rainy season is from March to May
- The short rainy season is in November and December.
- The long dry season is from June through October,
- August is typically the driest month of the year.
- The short, hot, dry season is in January and February
- We offer discounted prices for children.
Are you ready to explore Africa?
This itinerary is an example of tours we organize.
Contact us by email, WhatsApp or phone to create your individual trip or choose one of our itineraries without obligation!