Day Tour Mikumi National Park
- Easily accessible by road from Dar es Salaam in about 4 hours
- Discover the rich wildlife of the Mkata floodplains, home to four of the big five: leopards, lions, elephants, buffaloes
- Popular for sightings of the world’s largest antelope – the eland
- Has a wide variety of vegetation types, woodland, swamp and grassland
- Circuit / Region
- Included Services
- Excluded Services
- Best Time To Travel
- Packing Tips
Mikumi National Park is located 286 km from Dar es Salaam and is the fifth largest National Park in Tanzania. The park is one ecosystem with Nyerere National Park (before Selous G. R.) and therefore elephants, buffalos and zebras are migrating to and from the northern part of Mikumi N. P. The grass savannas of the Mkata Floodplains in the northwestern part of the park can be compared to those of the Serengeti. The southern depressions form water courses which flow to Mkata River and supporting large population of wildlife including buffalo, wild dog, eland, elephant, giraffe, hartebeest, zebra, leopard, lion, impala, sable antelope, warthog, waterbuck, wildebeest, and greater kudu. Yellow baboons, impala and reedbuck are commonly seen at Kisungura area along the Mkata River. The Park habitat is also among one of the richest in the world for residence and migratory birds. More than 400 species of birds have been observed in this park.
- Full Day Tour
Dar es Salaam – Mikumi National Park – Dar es Salaam
In the early Morning at about 5 a.m., we will pick you up from your hotel or from the airport in Dar es Salaam and drive to Mikumi National Park. On the way we stop for a relaxing breakfast. Immediately after the registration at the park gate we start our game drive. First we pass the two water holes “Mkata” and “Chamgore”. These water holes offer a good opportunity for game viewing as animals are attracted to these water holes.
For lunch you can enjoy a picnic lunch at one of the picnic areas in the park combined with the beauty of wild nature or a relaxing lunch in one of the Lodges or TANAPA Restaurant. It is your choice.
After lunch we proceed with our exciting game drive until late afternoon to get the most out of the day.
On the way back we stop in Morogoro town for dinner, then we proceed directly to the agreed drop off point in Dar es Salaam.
- Transport from and to your hotel/residence or airport/seaport
- Park entry and nature trail fees
- Professional, English-speaking driver/guide
- Game drives and activities as per itinerary
- 4 × 4 safari vehicle with pop up roof for game viewing
- Drinking water during the game drives/walking safari
- Driver’s salary and allowances
- International/national flights and visa fees
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. telephone, souvenirs, laundry etc.
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurance
- Flying doctor rescue services
- Government-imposed increases in taxes and/or park entrance fees
- Tips to the driver & guide
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions
- Optional activities not outlined on the itinerary
- On request other tour languages possible
- Flights Dar es Salaam – Mikumi – Dar es Salaam can be arranged
- Additional accommodation before and after the tour can be arranged for An Extra cost
- Extension of stay or additional program is possible / or have a look at our other offers
- The best time to visit the Southern Circuit National Parks is during the dry season from June to October. It is the best time for wildlife viewing because the vegetation is less dense. the temperature is hot and dry during the day, cooler at night.
- From November to February It becomes more sultry and greener.
- Rainy season is from March to May routes are almost impassable and lodges and camps very often closed.
- We offer discounted prices for children.
- Usually our tours require at least 2 people. Solo travelers can join a tour or ask us about a tailor-made safari.
Are you ready to explore Africa?
This itinerary is an example of tours we organize.
Contact us by email, WhatsApp or phone to create your individual trip or choose one of our itineraries without obligation!