3 Days Mwanihana Trail Udzungwa Mountains N. P.
- Often referred to as “The Galapagos Islands of Africa” because of its biodiversity and endemism
- Encounter the endemic Sanje Mangabey and the Iringa Red Colobus Monkey on your trek
- Trails with spectacular views in unspoiled rainforest
- Swimming in the plunge pools of the gorgeous waterfalls
- Circuit / Region
- Included Services
- Excluded Services
- Best Time To Travel
- Packing Tips
The Udzungwa Mountains National Park is a part of 34 biodiversity hotspots due to its rich levels of biodiversity and endemism. Its massive forest panoramas and variety of gorgeous waterfalls are a great draw for trekkers. The park is home of an important population of primates, including the Sanje Mangabey and the Iringa Red Colobus, which you can find only here. There are 2500 plant species, 25% of which are endemic, and over 400 different bird species have been counted.
- Day 1: Mwanihana Trail - Njia Panda Camp
Meet your porters, the cook and the ranger at the starting point of the tour at the National Park Entrance. When all the luggage is stored away, today's stage of the toal of 38 km long Mwanihana Trail starts. It will take about three hours to reach Njia Panda Camp. The trail leads through lushly vegetated land along a small river. You will be surrounded by the sound of the endemic Red Colobus Monkeys.
Meal plan: Dinner
Accomodation: Njia Panda Camp / Tent
- Day 2: Njia Panda Camp - Mwanihana Peak - Njia Panda Camp
After a delicious breakfast in the bush, set out with your ranger on the next stage to Mwanihana Peak, the second highest mountain in the Udzungwa Mountains (2.150 m/7053,806 ft.). The path goes up and down for the first hundred meters before going uphill permanently. There are also elephants and buffalo on the plateau, which is why the hike is accompanied by an armed ranger. The vegetation becomes denser and in some areas you will have to overcome tree trunks and climb the increasingly steep path before reaching the top and enjoying breathtaking views of the pristine Udzungwa Mountain National Park. After that, return the same way to Njia Panda Camp.
Meal plan: breakfast, lunch box, dinner
Accomodation: Njia Panda Camp / Tent
- Day 3: Njia Panda Camp - Sanje Waterfall
Today the path leads back to the starting point of the Mwanihana Trail. On the way back you can take a refreshing swim in natural plunge pool of the Sonje waterfall (120 m). A car is waiting for you at the starting point and takes you to the next starting point of the 6.2 km long Sanje waterfall path. The Sanje waterfalls are the highest in the region and fall 180 meters into the valley via three cascades. Here, too, you can take a refreshing swim in the natural pool.
Meal plan: breakfast, lunch box
End of the trip in the late afternoon.
- Transport from and to your hotel/residence or airport/seaport
- Private English-speaking professional mountain guide/ranger
- Ranger, porters, cook salaries
- TANAPA armed ranger
- Park fees
- All activities (unless labeled as optional)
- Accommodations as mentioned in the itinerary
- All meals while on the trip as mentioned in the itinarary incl. filtered water, tea and coffee
- Camping equipment
- All Taxes/VAT
- International/national flights and visa fees
- Bath towels
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Tips for guide/ranger, cook and porters
- Personal items (souvenirs, travel insurance, Internet, laundry etc.)
- Soft and alcoholic Drinks
- Government-imposed increases in taxes and/or park entrance fees
- Additional accommodation before and after the tour can be arranged for an extra cost
- There are other day hikes and overnight hiking trails, please ask us!
- Extension of stay or additional program is possible / or have a look at our other offers
- The year-round temperature at the Udzungwa Mountains National Park is pleasant, with the higher temperatures occurring around October to March and the coolest temperatures occurring around May to July.
- Most of the long rainfall occurs from March to May
- Hking Udzungwa Mountains is possible year round although slippery in the rains.
- Be prepared for short rainfalls anytime.
- For hikes in the Udzungwa Mountains you should bring sturdy hiking boots and for the cooler evenings a fleece jacket or a warm sweater.
- A rain poncho is advisable because of short rainfalls anytime.
- Camping equipment can be rented. Please contact us in time what is needed.
Are you ready to explore Africa?
This itinerary is an example of tours we organize.
Contact us by email, WhatsApp or phone to create your individual trip or choose one of our itineraries without obligation!