Day Tour to Materuni Waterfall & Coffee Tour
- Enjoy the impressive 80 m Materuni Waterfall and take a refreshing dip in the water
- Visit Materuni village, the home of the Chagga tribe and still an authentic tribal village
- Experience a typical Chagga lunch
- Participate in the process of making Materuni coffee, learn about cultivation, drying and roasting and produce your own cup of coffee
- Circuit / Region
- Included Services
- Excluded Services
- Best Time To Travel
- Packing Tips
Materuni village will give you the opportunity to familiarize yourself with one of the ethnic groups of the Chagga tribe [Wauru]. It is still an authentic tribal village. This charming place is located just 15km North East of Moshi Town and is the last village before entering the Kilimanjaro National Park. It lies at an altitude of 1800 m.
The impressive Materuni Waterfall is one of the tallest in the area and is spewing crystal clear glacier water 80 m into its basin. The beautiful path leading to Materuni Waterfall is located 2500m above sea level.
The valleys and hills in this area are covered by tropical rainforest and by coffee, banana and avocado farms.
- Full Day Tour
After breakfast you will be picked up from the hotel/lodge. Upon arrival at Materuni Village, you will register at the village office and your trip can begin by visiting the waterfalls, which can be reached within a 40-minute walk. On the way, your guide will inform you about the culture of the Chagga and their village life and explain the surrounding fauna and flora. The views are really breathtaking and with a little luck you can see the summit of Kilimanjaro. When you reach the waterfalls, you will see that they are more than 80 meters high. At the bottom of the waterfall there is an amazing pool which is a good place for a refreshing swim. So, don’t forget to bring your swimwear.
After having enjoyed the scenery, you slowly return with your guide to the village of Materuni, where you will experience a traditional Chagga lunch (let us know if there are special food requirements). You also will have the opportunity to taste our local banana beer – you shouldn’t miss this.
Next the coffee experience awaits you. Here you can find out how coffee is cultivated, dried, roasted and processed. You are also invited to help with the grinding of the coffee, which is traditionally accompanied by Chagga songs and dances – a fun way to immerse yourself in the local culture. Before you say goodbye and return in the afternoon to Moshi, you can enjoy the coffee you have made and appreciate the views of the surrounding rainforest.
- Transport to and from your accommodation in Arusha/Moshi or nearby
- English-speaking guide/driver
- Local lunch at the village of Materuni & complimentary bottle of mineral water
- Guiding fees, development fees and village fees
- Items of a personal nature such as soft- and alcoholic drinks, souvenirs, passport, visa, and traveler’s insurance
- Medical evacuation insurance
- Tips to guides and driver & guide
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions/itinerary
- An adjustment of the program is possible, e.g. a demonstration of the production of banana beer or a visit to a typical Chagga house.
- The ideal Travel times are in the dry months from December to March and from June to October.
- Visibility is good from December to March, the climate can get very hot and there is hardly any rainfall.
- From June to October, however, the temperatures are quite pleasant.
- We offer discounted prices for children.
Are you ready to explore Africa?
This itinerary is an example of tours we organize.
Contact us by email, WhatsApp or phone to create your individual trip or choose one of our itineraries without obligation!