3 Days Wildlife & Hiking – Mikumi National Park & Udzungwa Mountains National Park
Mikumi National Park
- Discover the rich wildlife of the Mkata floodplains, home to four of the big five: leopards, lions, elephants, buffaloes
- Popular for sightings of the world’s largest antelope – the eland
- Has a wide variety of vegetation types, woodland, swamp and grassland
- Enjoy the glorious sunrise and sunset.
Udzungwa Mountains National Park
- Often referred to as “The Galapagos Islands of Africa” because of its biodiversity and endemism.
- Trails with spectacular views
- Swimming in the plunge pools of the gorgeous waterfalls
- Circuit / Region
- Included Services
- Excluded Services
- Best Time To Travel
- Packing Tips
Mikumi National Park is located 286 km from Dar es Salaam and is the fifth largest National Park in Tanzania. The park is one ecosystem with Nyerere N. P. and therefore elephants, buffalos and zebras are migrating to and from the northern part of Mikumi N. P. The grass savannas of the Mkata Floodplains in the northwestern part of the park can be compared to those of the Serengeti. The southern depressions form water courses which flow to Mkata River and supporting large population of wildlife including buffalo, wild dog, eland, elephant, giraffe, hartebeest, zebra, leopard, lion, impala, sable antelope, warthog, waterbuck, wildebeest, and greater kudu. Yellow baboons, impala and reedbuck are commonly seen at Kisungura area along the Mkata River. The Park habitat is also among one of the richest in the world for residence and migratory birds. More than 400 species of birds have been observed in this park.
The Udzungwa Mountains National Park is a part of 34 biodiversity hotspots due to its rich levels of biodiversity and endemism. Its massive forest panoramas and variety of gorgeous waterfalls are a great draw for trekkers. The park is home of an important population of primates, including the Sanje Mangabey and the Iringa Red Colobus, which you can find only here. There are 2500 plant species, 25% of which are endemic, and over 400 different bird species have been counted.
- Day 1: Dar es Salaam - Mikumi National Park
Pick up at the agreed point in Dar es Salaam in the morning at 6 a.m. and drive 283 km to Mikumi National Park with lunch in a restaurant in the village of Morogoro. After lunch we go on an evening game drive in the national park and enjoy the sunset at one of the two unique viewpoints.
Meal plan: breakfast, lunch, dinner
Possible accommodations: Mikumi Tanapa Bandas or Bastian Campsite (budget); Bastian Lodge (mid-range)
- Day 2: Mikumi National Park - Udzungwa Mountains
At 6 a.m. before breakfast we start an early game drive in Mikumi National Park when the wildlife is still active. Back to the camp you can enjoy your breakfast. Check out and drive 2 hours to the Udzungwa Mountains Nationa Park. After lunch we take a short, easy trail to the bottom of the Sonje waterfall, with the option of continuing up a steeper path for 15 mins to reach the second waterfall. These falls are very beautiful and a favorite of waterfall lovers. Ramble through miombo vegetation with the chance to see primates and colorful birds.
Meal plan: breakfast, lunch, dinner
possible accommodation: Twiga Hotel (budget); Hondo Hondo Tented Camp (mid-range); Udzungwa Falls Lodge (luxury)
- Day 3: Udzungwa Mountains - Dar es Salaam
After an early breakfast at 7 a.m. (early, because you should avoid the hot sun) we start our hike to Sanje Waterfall. This 180 m waterfall is very impressive, surrounded by rainforest with excellent views over the Kilombero floodplain. At the top, you can swim in the refreshing plunge pool. Relaxing picnic lunch by the waterfall. On the trail it is common to see “Iringa red colobus” and “Sanje crested mangabey” monkeys which are only found in the Udzungwa Mountains National Park. There is an alternative route up or down. You can arrange this with your local guide. After the hike we drive directly to the agreed drop-off point at Dar es Salaam.
Meal plan: breakfast, picnic lunch
Accommodation: no accommodation on this day.
- Transport from and to your hotel/residence or airport/seaport
- Park entry and nature trail fees
- Professional, English-speaking driver/guide
- All accommodation and meals as mentioned in the itinerary or as agreed. N. B. accommodation mentioned in the itinerary is dependent on availability at the time of booking; alternatives of a similar class may be booked instead
- All camping gear (if applicable)
- Game drives and activities as per itinerary
- 4 × 4 safari vehicle with pop up roof for game viewing
- TANAPA armed ranger (where needed, e.g. on walking safaris, some boat safaris etc.)
- Drinking water during the game drives/walking safari
- Driver’s salary and allowances and park fees for vehicle and driver
- International/national flights and visa fees
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. soft- and alcoholic drinks, telephone, souvenirs, laundry etc.
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurance
- Flying doctor rescue services
- Government-imposed increases in taxes and/or park entrance fees
- Tips to the driver & guide
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions
- Optional activities not outlined on the itinerary
- Flights DAR – Mikumi – DAR can be arranged
- On request other tour languages possible
- Additional accommodation before and after the tour can be arranged for an extra cost
- Extension of stay or additional program is possible / or have a look at our ot
- The best time to visit the Southern Circuit National Parks is during the dry season from June to October. It is the best time for wildlife viewing because the vegetation is less dense. The temperature is hot and dry during the day, cooler at night.
- From November to February It becomes more sultry and greener.
- Rainy season is from March to May routes are almost impassable and lodges and camps very often closed.
- The year-round temperature at the Udzungwa Mountains Nationa Park is pleasant, with the higher temperatures occurring around October to March and the coolest temperatures occurring around May to July. most of the long rainfall occurs from March to May
- Usually our tours require a minimum of 2 persons to run. Single travelers can join a tour or ask us for a tailor-made safari.
- We offer discounted prices for children.
Are you ready to explore Africa?
This itinerary is an example of tours we organize.
Contact us by email, WhatsApp or phone to create your individual trip or choose one of our itineraries without obligation!