Day Tour Historical Bagamoyo
- On the trail of the past
- Arabic, German, British history and old colonial buildings
- Admire the beautifully carved doors of Bagamoyo
- Circuit / Region
- Included Services
- Excluded Services
- Best Time To Travel
- Packing Tips
Bagamoyo is located 80 km north of Dar es Salaam on the Indian Ocean and was once one of the first and most important trading ports along the East African coast. Because of its location on the caravan trade routes, it has long been an important slave trading place. Let yourself be transported back in time on a tour through the old town of Bagamoyo. The town is full of historic monuments of ancient Arab and Portuguese architecture as well as historic German buildings and British colonial history. Visit the first Roman Catholic Church in East Africa built around 1868 and the nearby chapel where Livingstone’s body was laid before being taken to Zanzibar Town en route to Westminster Abbey.
Full Day Tour
Dar es Salaam – Bagamoyo – Dar es Salaam
After breakfast we depart for the historic coastal town of Bagamoyo. A walk through the narrow streets takes you back to the mid-19th century. You will visit the German Colonial Administrative block, Art market, Old post office, 1st Tanzania Primary School, Old Mosques, Hanging tower, Caravan Serai Museum and the fish market. After lunch we proceed to the first Roman Catholic Church in East Africa and the Mission Museum. The day ends with a visit of the Kaole ruins dated back to the 13th Century, where immigrants from Arabic countries landed on East Africa’s coast.
meal plan: lunch (in town)
- Transport from and to your hotel/residence or Airport/seaport
- Guided Tour at Bagamoyo and admission fees
- Professional, English-speaking driver/guide
- All activities as per itinerary
- Transportation in a Saloon car
- Driver’s salary and allowances
- International/national flights and visa fees
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. soft- and alcoholic drinks, telephone, souvenirs, laundry etc.
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurance
- Flying doctor rescue services
- Government-imposed increases in taxes and/or entrance fees
- Tips to the driver & guide
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions
- Optional activities not outlined on the itinerary
- On request other tour languages possible
- Additional accommodation after the tour can be arranged for an extra cost
- Extension of stay or additional program is possible / or have a look at our other offers
- Tropical monsoons with long rain falls from March to May
- Short rains fall in November and December
- January and February are hot and humid months with sporadic showers with lots of sunshine
- June to September are cooler, but sunny
- We offer discounted prices for children.
Are you ready to explore Africa?
This itinerary is an example of tours we organize.
Contact us by email, WhatsApp or phone to create your individual trip or choose one of our itineraries without obligation!