Day Tour to Ol’Doinyo Sambu Maasai Village
- Visit the central village of Maasai tribe
- Enjoy short hiking trips uphill and in the open plains of Maasai land
- Visit local healers and learn about Maasai tradition & daily life
- On Saturdays you can vistit the lively Maasai market
- Circuit / Region
- Included Services
- Excluded Services
- Best Time To Travel
- Packing Tips
Cultural Programs in Ol Doinyo Sambu includes:
Short hikes up hills in the open plains to view the scenery of Maasai land and to see the high volcanoes of northern Tanzania which include Mount Kilimanjaro, Meru, Longido and Ketumbeine. Visits to traditional Maasai Bomas, markets and watering dams to experience real Maasai daily life. Courtesy call at the home of a traditional healer or at the warriers’ camp of meet-eating rituals or at the center of woman group specializing in making Maasai ornaments. Study walks to historic towers, tribal holy trees and stranger water springs. Horse, donkey and camel rides across Maasai Country.
- Full Day Tour
You will be picked up at the Hotel/Lodge and drive to Ol Doinyo Sambu which is located 36 km north-west of Arusha on the Nairobi highway. The center of cultural activities is Ol Doinyo Sambu Market.
Hike up the Ol Doinyo War Hill, then rest in a Maasai boma before heading to meet a traditional healer. Visit the watering dams and a traditional meat camp or ‘Orpul’. Proceed to the fields and watch livestock in the lush pastures of the Maasai. Nearby is a zoo with Marabous storks, leopards and colobus monkeys. Time permitting, you will be shown the local method of beekeeping, proceed by hiking up Mareu Hill to view Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Meru, Longido, Ketumbeine and Monduli. Later, rest in a Maasai boma and visit a traditional healer. Go on to see the holy fig tree, water spring, meat camp and historic tower. End the journey with a meal prepared by the Maasai women. Later in the late afternoon leave and drive back to the Hotel/Lodge.
- Transport to and from your accommodation in Arusha/Moshi or nearby
- Other languages on request
- English-speaking guide/driver
- Guiding fees, development fees, conservation fees (if applicable)
- Lunch at the Camp & Complimentary bottle of water
- Items of a personal nature such as souvenirs, passport, visa, and traveler’s insurance
- soft drinks & alcoholic drinks
- medical evacuation insurance
- Tips for guides and driver-guide
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions
- Half day Tour
Walking safari starts with a visit to a Masai boma to see the traditional lifestyle of the tribe. Hike up the Ol Doinyo War Hill to view the surrounding plains and villages. Later, head to the center of Maasai women specializing in ornament making and to the historical tower, a reminder of colonialism. Trek to a holy fig tree and thereon to a Water spring, then Hike up the Mareu Hill to view Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Meru, Longido, Ketumbeine and Monduli. Rest in Maasai boma before heading to meet a traditional healer.
- overnight in a Maasai boma
- All year round
- We offer discounted prices for children.
Are you ready to explore Africa?
This itinerary is an example of tours we organize.
Contact us by email, WhatsApp or phone to create your individual trip or choose one of our itineraries without obligation!