3 Days Nyerere National Park (former Selous G. R.)
- Still relatively unspoiled and an insider tip
- Undisturbed safaris due to fewer tourists
- Enjoy the variety of game viewing safari activities by boat, 4×4 or on foot
- Large lakes and rivers
- Experience magnificent safari animals and landscapes
- Perfect spot for ornithologists
- Circuit / Region
- Included Services
- Excluded Services
- Best Time To Travel
- Packing Tips
Kedani East Africa Adventures takes you by road from Dar es Salaam in 4-5 hours to visit one of the spectacular southern circuit national parks of Tanzania which is still relatively undisturbed by human impact.
Almost all of Africa’s famous animals can be found in Nyerere National Park, including varieties of birds and reptiles. The population of African wild dogs is the largest on the entire continent with 1300 animals and there are approximately 3,700 lions – one of the largest populations in Africa and furthermore the park is home to more than half of Tanzania’s elephant population. Nyerere National Park has a great variety of habitats such as swamps, open grassland, riverine forests and the Miombo woodlands with impressive baobabs and acacia trees as well doum- and borassus palms up to 30 meters high and mango trees can also be found in well-watered places. The Rufiji River with his numerous side arms and large lakes forms a labyrinth with islands, sandbars and lagoons. Crocodiles sunbathe on their banks and hippos wallow in the muddy water. That’s why Nyerere National Park was already declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982 and the UN ranks Selous among the 25 most biodiverse regions in the world.
- Day 1: Dar es Salaam – Nyerere National Park (before Selous G. R.)
After collecting you from your hotel or the Airport, we start for our 4 - 5 hour drive towards Nyerere National Park with picnic lunch on the route. Arrival at the Game Reserve in the afternoon. After a little rest and a short orientation briefing, we will embark on a boat safari on the majestic Rufiji River, where you can admire hippos and Nile crocodiles in their natural habitat.
Meal plan: picnic lunch, dinner
Possible accommodations: Mbega Campsite (budget), Mloka Safari Lodge (mid-range), Africa Safari Selous (luxury)
- Day 2: Full day game drives
In the morning after breakfast, together with our expert driver guide, we are exploring the breathtaking nature during full day game drives with picnic lunch by our 4 × 4 safari vehicle with pop up roof. You will have the opportunity to enjoy a large number of elephants and lions, as well as buffalos, wild dogs, eland antelopes, bushbucks, giraffes, impalas, baboons, zebras, greater kudu and you have the chance to see the rare sable antelope.
Meal plan: breakfast, picnic lunch, dinner
Possible accommodations: Selous Ngalawa Campsite and Lodge (budget), Mloka Safari Lodge (mid-range), Africa Safari Selous (luxury)
- Day 3: Nyerere National Park walking safari – Dar es Salaam
We are leaving early in the morning for a walking safari which is accompanied by an armed ranger guide who will guide you to get close to the animals and plants for taking beautiful photos. This is an absolute highlight, because here you can experience the bush landscape with all your senses and animal observations become a very intimate experience. Then drive back to your lodge for breakfast at 10:00 a.m. After that we are leaving for Dar es Salaam. We drop you at your booked hotel or at the airport.
Meal plan: breakfast
Accommodation: no accommodation on this day.
- Transport from and to your hotel/residence or airport/seaport
- Park entry and nature trail fees
- Professional, English-speaking driver/guide
- All accommodations and meals as mentioned in the itinerary or as agreed. N. B. accommodation mentioned in the itinerary is dependent on availability at the time of booking; alternatives of a similar class may be booked instead
- All camping gear (if applicable)
- Game drives and activities as per itinerary
- 4 × 4 safari vehicle with pop up roof for game viewing
- TANAPA armed ranger (where needed, e.g. on walking safaris, some boat safaris etc.)
- Drinking water during the game drives/walking safari
- Driver’s salary and allowances and park fees for vehicle and driver
- International/national flights and visa fees
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. soft- and alcoholic drinks, telephone, souvenirs, laundry etc.
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurance
- Flying doctor rescue services
- Government-imposed increases in taxes and/or park entrance fees
- Tips to the driver & guide
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions
- Optional activities not outlined on the itinerary
- Visit to a local dance show/village
- On request other Tour languages possible
- Flights Dar - Selous - Dar can be arranged
- Additional accommodation before and after the tour can be arranged for an extra cost
- Extension of stay or additional program is possible / or have a look at our other offers
- The best time to visit the Southern Circuit National Parks is during the dry season from June to October. It is the best time for wildlife viewing because the vegetation is less dense. the temperature is hot and dry during the day, cooler at night.
- From November to February It becomes more sultry and greener.
- Rainy season is from March to May routes are almost impassable and lodges and camps very often closed.
- Kids under the age of 12 are not allowed on a walking safari.
- We offer discounted prices for children.
- Usually our tours require a minimum of 2 persons to run. Single travelers can join a tour or ask us for a tailor-made safari.
Are you ready to explore Africa?
This itinerary is an example of tours we organize.
Contact us by email, WhatsApp or phone to create your individual trip or choose one of our itineraries without obligation!